Google
 
Web holistic-denzuko1.blogspot.com

10/31/2022

The sense of emptiness

It is interesting that I start this chapter with a seemingly religious phase.  Emptiness is a misleading term to many when come to understanding Buddhism. People tends to think about nothingness literally when it is in fact meaning something very different.

It is a mindset of impermanence, understanding that nothing can be permanently unchanged. everything on this world will go through formation, age, deterioration and cease existence. 

In this chapter, however, I am literally speaking of emptiness.

I was fascinated with psychology as I am intrigue with how people think and why they behave as they did. This was partially due to the influence of my brother who took up psychology for his degree and "Silence of the lamb".

The influence from "Silence of the lamb" has affected my interest enough that I started to research on serial killers, and I get t know many of them through the year of reading up different stories. 

One of the serial killers I came across during the 2000s was this Australian called Peter Dupas. He is not the worst of the lot, neither is his story "colorful". What attracted me was the photo on him.

Photo 1. Peter "Chubby" Dupas

Looking at the photo, I can't help but to notice his eyes, the iris is huge and dark. The more I stare at him, I felt the sense of emptiness in him, as if there is no soul within. 

It gives me a sense that he is no able to feel emotion at all. Most like the very reason he killed, to be able to feel. 

Indeed, the reason many serial killers kill is to feel in control and alive. Ironic, isn't it?

It may just be a coincident and that he has big eyes, but there are others with huge eyes, and you can sense them filling with life and emotion.

I recent years, I moved on to learning of the commercial world. Especially when I am into the financial market. I came across this scandal from a company, Theranos and its founder Elizabeth Holmes. 

She is ambitious with a goal to create a one-stop test station; a single drop of blood will enable the machine to report the various health status of the patients. Her idea managed to attract much financial support, especially when she comes from an influential family. 

It is unfortunate that she was too ambitious, the technology was not ready for her. The company could not deliver the product and they decided to cover up and lied about the development progress, forging test report. It brought her down fall.

Photo 2 Elizabeth Holmes

Elizabeth's eyes are bluish as compared to Peter Dupas, yet observing her eyes a while longer, I can't help but tot notice the similar sensation. the eyes are quite empty and a lack of self and life.

Elizabeth was a fan of Steve Job and most likely her ambition mimic that of Job. Even her attire copied that of Job, she even lowers her tonality to portray a more dominant and commanding image. It seems like she lacks her own personality.

What triggers me to have this entry?

My most recent entry on my other blog on charting Meta ..... there should be a moment of self awareness. It is not the first time I see the photo of Mark Zuckerberg, seeing his photo this time let me decide to just keep this on record.
Photo 3. Mark Zuckerberg

I really find very close resemblance of his eyes to the other 2 persons I spoke of earlier. I do not recall any other expression other than this. Reference to the head of some companies such as Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Steve Jobs, who are filled with passion when even they appear. Mark Zuckerberg is certainly pale in comparison. There seems to have no emotional outburst when he presents.

The photo attached to this article for instance, you can see that the eyes do not synchronize with the smiling feature on his lips, giving me that it is not real and that he is putting on a false appearance.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home